As email is a common way to initiate cyber-attacks, it’s essential that all establishments have robust email filtering in place to keep their networks secure and their users safe. MailProtect is a powerful email filtering product that harnesses the power of multiple industry-leading scanning technologies to offer round-the-clock protection from email-borne viruses, malware, phishing attempts and other cyber-nasties, as well as filtering out general spam and unwanted bulk mail.
Each day, MailProtect scans over 2 million emails for harmful or unwanted content. By using multiple scanning engines in a coherent fashion, MailProtect is able to offer real-time protection on a global scale where users are protected from threats as soon as they are discovered, helping prevent the spread of ‘zero-hour’ attacks.
As well as providing safeguards against cyber-attacks, MailProtect also helps shield users from unwanted spam and bulk mail. Users can receive daily spam digest reports that inform them of any mail that’s been trapped in the filters and are able to ‘preview’ or ‘release’ depending on the threat.
Perhaps MailProtect’s greatest strength is in the scale of its deployment – hundreds of thousands of unique recipients (and growing) across the UK. When a new threat is discovered it can be categorised as such and immediately blocked across the MailProtect community of users.
While a strong email filtering platform is a good defence, it is only half the battle. User vigilance and understanding is also key, and an integral part of protection from not just email-borne threats, but all types of cyber-attack. Below are some top tips1 from our partners at Sophos to help you keep your guard up.
- Make sure you are running an up-to-date antivirus application and that it is enabled.
- Ensure your computer is up-to-date and fully patched. Not just your operating system, but your web browser and third party applications like Java too.
- A lot of malicious code is distributed via links in emails or social media messages, so don’t click on suspicious links or attachments in emails.
- Use web filtering to prevent you browsing to websites infected with malicious code.
- If you’re worried you aren’t secure, or think you may be infected, run a scan with a tool like the Sophos Free Virus Removal tool which will detect and remove any nasty code like Gameover.
- Keep regular backups of your important files and if you can, store them offline, where they can’t be affected in the event of an attack on your active files.
More information can be found in our MailProtect brochure.
Should you have any queries regarding MailProtect or any of our online safeguarding services please speak to one of our experts.